It was another wonderful week in first grade! We are really getting the hang of our daily routines. Don’t forget that NEXT Friday all Passport orders are due.
Handwriting and Shaving Cream Fun
You might have heard your first grader mention that we used shaving cream this week. We did and they loved it! We have been working on our handwriting and forming letters correctly. Everyone had their own pile of shaving cream that they spread on their table spot to practice writing letters correctly. Letters are formed from the top down and then we sorted the lower case letters based on the first movement a writer makes when they write the letters. The first movement was either a curve (like the letters a, c, d, f, g, o, q, s), a stick (like the letters b, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, p, r, t, u), a slant (like the letters v, w, x, y), or an across movement (like e and z). Down below you will find the verbal prompts that we used in class. It is so important for letters to be formed correctly because it is more fluent and efficient. It will also prepare them for when they begin to learn cursive. Don’t be afraid to get some shaving cream and practice at home!
Dates to Remember
- Monday, September 3rd - No School - Labor Day
- Friday, September 7th - Passport Fundraiser Ends
- Tuesday, September 11th - School Picture Day
- Wednesday, September 12th – Room Parent Meeting
- Thursday, September 20th - First Annual Open House
- Monday, September 24th - No School - Teacher Collaboration Day
· Look for order forms for school pictures in the Friday Folder